Tuesday, June 17, 2008

So How is Everyone Doing?

So how's everyone doing? Here I am again doing the same post I did some time ago. Well today is internship day 02 for most of you guys I assume? So how're you guys lah?

I'll just start with myself. This is my 3rd week working and I have to say that most of what I have been doing is tutorials, tutorials and more tutorials! Why? Simply because where I work they don't use Maya (or Max for that matter). They use this software called SideFX Houdini:



Well yea, Houdini. Well basically its back to square one like learning 3D all over again. If you guys think Maya is a b*tch, wait till you try Houdini... but once you get the hang out of it, you'll start to see how much more efficient Houdini is when it comes to workflow. The software itself works by procedural nodes. Well, yea its hard to explain what procedural workflow is but honestly once you use Houdini, you'll think Maya is like child's play. I know this might bore some of you guys but I managed to find a screenshot of Houdini 9 (the version I am using now)...



Anyway back to internship. The people over here are really nice and helpful and they are very eager to help you start out. I guess for me internship here isn't like how I'd picture it. I thought I would be treated like a slave to some senior or smtg but its not true. Here they really treat you like a full time staff. I get a workstation to myself and all I am asked to do is to learn the software. They said its going to be a long 4 months and so I better learn all that I can. Recently they let me do one of the VFX shots for an upcoming film (which I cannot mention the name of course due to its P&C).

Working hours for me is... hmmm well there is no working actually. All you got to do is make sure you finish what you have to do for the day by 7pm so usually I go in about 10am latest also 10:30am.

I just want to share that if there is smtg I learnt is that I learnt what 3D production is really about. Working in a team. I used to model a lot of cars in Maya and when I was there the senior actually told me what I was doing is not efficient if working in a team cos when they work on a car for example, they will split the jobs some people do interiors, some people do the engine, some do the exteriors. And when there are like 2/3 people working on one car, everyone has to model the exact same method so they it can be combined well and also, the texture artist can start texturing and the animator can start animating even before the model is complete.

Well so how bout you guys? Come share your experiences no matter good or bad. =)

Sorry if some of you guys find my post a little too long. Just wanted to share my experiences thats all. =)

1 comment:

vaLerism™ said...

Dude dude dude THANKS for making this cool replacement for your previous post! (sorry man accidentally erased part of your post while was adding color to it) :p

Seriously wey thanks for sharing Houdini, it's something new to me! XD And I feel happy for you lo you must be doing great there! :p

KEEP ENJOYING INTERNSHIP!!!

- 6:25am. Off to Work liao. - :D