Monday, May 19, 2008

Some Words from an Old Senior

Hi everyone,

Hi there... this is the 1st time I post in FASStudio, I'm new in this blogger... so... hi... haha. For those who dont know who am I... well... just keep "dont know who am I".


I'm 1 of your FA seniors. I've graduated way before any of you entered MMU. I get to know about this FASStudio Bloggie site from somewhere, someone, and I'd love to talk to the FA Gamma students... and some Delta students perhaps.


I have something to share.This is my 1st post... so I hope is not too harsh for everyone. I went for the Delta FA industrial Presentation last Thursday, congratulations for making it a success... but in terms of the artworks, what I can say is... "disappointing".


"The worst ever presentation" since I entered MMU. Almost all the artworks presented are low in standard, some uncompleted work, some noticeable last minute work and many of the students did not even turn up for the presentation. Come on people you call this an industrial presentation, but have u ever taken it seriously and show some respect to the industry people? How could you display that kind of spirit and attitude to the outside industry? It almost embarrassed FA in many ways.


The industry’s 3 big names - Codemasters, Silver Ant and Moon FX attended the presentation, and it was the 1st time I heard such harsh criticism from them, calling the students as “living too long in palm oil estate”… “you wont get a job with the artwork”…
children’s cartoon”. I Believe those Gamma students who attended the presentation would have heard of these.


And I had no surprise… soon after the presentation my boss did mention that non of the students are qualified for interview unless they improve their portfolios... wasted the whole morning, that's the end of topic, and he never discuss more on any of the students.


Well, in my opinion there are still some potential artworks in within. Nothing outstanding honestly, the only artwork that is still playing in my mind is the “puppet” motion graphic. Even that doesn’t have a proper story telling.


I wonder why all the Delta FA students look toothless in their animations… They seem like still living in the box and never get exposed to the outside world. 3D is not a new topic in Malaysia anymore. It had been here since 10 years ago. With the current technology, cinema, internet and “YouTube” playing all over the world, lack of exposure is just an excuse. Everyone know about Pixar Animation Studio, Dreamwork studio… I believe most of the people had enjoyed great animation movies such as “The Incredible”, “Finding Nemo”, “Cars” “ Shrek123” and etc etc….


You had spent your 2 years (or 3 years) as a Film and Animation student, had any of you took the initiative to study those world class animations? Or you just “enjoy” the movies like everyone else… if so what for you go for FA? Besides those featured animation movies, there are plenty of short animation clips out there that are worth watching. With such convenient sources everywhere nowadays, I don’t see a reason why the industry have to tolerate with the student's level.


For all the Gamma students, I have seen some of the artworks from you guys in YouTube, and I'm glad to see some of them are up to expectation. Especially the Motion Graphics, is quite good but I have some concern… most of you using the same style to present your works which is the freestyle camera movement moving all around the same platform with some interesting planes and low poly objects… It look nice honestly at 1st glance… but do imagine that if everyone is using the same old style during the presentation, 100 presenters have presented, and I believe I cant differentiate who did which Motion Graphics… and nothing is outstanding anymore. My suggestion is… try explore more styles. Get yourself out of your own thought and think of something that you have never imagined before. Get out of your own comfort zone and make your graphic special from others.


And, for Character Animation… still have long way to go. Study back your Principle of Animations. Remember you have 4 main things to focus on which is Staging, Texturing, Lighting and the Animation itself. Staging is the composition in your every scene and very much linked with texturing and lighting.


For Animation, do more studies on body gestures and facial expressions. Try to understand how both of them interact with each others, exaggerate it!!! Personally I like the teaser trailer from “The Incredible” (body gesture) and “One Man Band” (facial expression). Both from Pixar Animation Studio.


For everyone,

Try some new effects such as fluid effect, cloth and hair. They are so simple nowadays compared to the previous time, and you can just do it with few clicks in Maya. Or, create some new effects on your own. Let everyone be shocked with surprise, wondering "WOW... how did you do that".

Lastly, I’m not trying to act like senior or grand master or something, I just don’t like to see the standard of FA falling year by year. For all Gamma students… I believe you all are going for industry training early next month. Try expose yourself to the industry, ask more, do more learn more and be less ego. It is a wild jungle out there, and you have to learn more to survive, and I believe you can do so.


I hope Gamma students will bounce back next year, and MMU FA students will always be the priority when they go for job interviews.


Cheers.

Hope it is not too harsh for my 1st post ;)


19 comments:

vaLerism™ said...

What a fine entry. :D

Well I feel it is what designers should do, accepting criticism and perceive all that is to be improved.

Having the tendency to lie back in bed is always a poison haha, I'm so getting rid of it! :p

Seriously your advice is not harsh, but it's scaring me! XD

Thanks for spending your time for this man, we are definitely gonna try our best! :)

Moolembu:Arab said...

An amazing post, thank you for reminding us about the decline in quality.

Princess :) said...

Thanks a lot for the criticism!

Seriously this is what we need, at least to give us a good kick start to work hard xD


Oh and please come to our fondue night please!!! :D:D:D


p/s : sorry for the eye sore message of up there because there's no edit button for comments X<

beloved said...

wow u make me really wanna knw who r u? >.<

sorry dint get to c delta work so no idea how it look like.

yeah will try 2 improve more but no idea wat is we need 2 do for tat fyp although ppl keep talking bout it. =.= (sorry im lack of info)

simply me, Jason said...

I kinda agree with this anonymous dude..

Years ago the standard of MMU teaching isn't any better than it is today and everything 'good' that came out of those bunch of seniors are their own effort of learning on their own...

I have to admit actually our batch strength is only in the Motion Graphics... VFX & CA a bit lacking behind

Kit said...

Wow, a post that I really need to read.

This semester I have serious time managing problem (honestly, is serious slacking illness).

A wakeup call that we all need.

lipas said...

Hi, I'm one of the Delta FA. I've read the post. Nope, its not too harsh for me and i kinda agreed to what he/she said.

Our batch is kinda weak in many ways. Most of us says that the education system for our batch is in trouble since alpha. Since alpha, we have been marked as "worst batch ever", and the mark goes on until now. In beta, we didn;t get to learn anything unlike current beta gamma batch sillibus.

That what many of us says, but for me, its up to everyone attitude in pursuing the knowledge. Most of us did not have a passion in doing animation or to learn something new by ourself. But, not every one in our batch is don't have the talent or passion. On of us are really good, even that student's artwork is featured in many cgtalk, ballistic magazine.

Honestly, I really dissapointed with our batch's performance in the recent industry preview. Plus, the people who did not turn up during the preview, why?...arghh..this guys adding the embarassment to our batch....to the FA....we really frustated and we very sorry to dissapoint our dear lecturers.

We really23 envy the junior batch..hope u guys did not repeat our mistakes again next year and bring back the legacy of MMU FA!! Remember, we supposed to be number one, now many other new college are catching on us, fast! The unikl, the telekom college (forgot the name), dont forget the big guy, Limkokwing, oneacademy,MiT,D3D. In the next couple of years, many international animation studios will be opening up, and they looking for you guys with great talent, and skills.

Do ur best, n don't screw up like most of us did... Good luck with your industry training, have a passion to learn, and good luck with your FYP soon... Looking forward to see you guys in tommorow's fa fondue. Thx

simply me, Jason said...

Guys I suggest we provide the best award thing..

Best CA, MG & VFX for Delta
Best CA, MG & VFX for Gamma
Best Newcomer (combine all streams) Beta

last year they had this "best transformer" thing where they show the person who made the biggest improvement

beloved said...

can i ask wat is FYP actually?

Princess :) said...

Final year project :)

beloved said...

can explain wat is tat?

Jijoe said...

Yup. Harsh but true.

When I left the e-theater that day, I realized that my eyebrows were hurting... cos they were all scrunched up during the whole presentation.

Kinda wondering why it turned out like that; they were ok when they left gamma, and when they came back from their internships, the stuff they worked on looked quite promising. Burnt out, perhaps?

So... yeah. Gammas, good luck in Delta. CA-ers especially, buck up.

*Shell!!! "what is FYP?" are you kidding me?! *whack*

beloved said...

sir no kidding >.<
u whack also no use coz it doesnt go into my brain >.>

wat do we need to do for fyp?
wat is it about? any requirement or guideline?

no idea leh... im blur2

_|-|o

SEE-ing said...

Hi, I'm one of the Delta FA students too. Thanks for your comments. Your comments are harsh and direct to me, but they did helps. It is always better for a senior to be direct to us, so that we know what is going wrong and where to be improved. I agree that I'm weak in story telling. I think most of us are weak in story telling. We should study more on movies and films.

For gammas, I know you all are hardworking and dare to try new stuff. Just do your "asking" frequently in the intern company and come back with polished skills! All the best!

p/s: Mr. Jijoe, sorry for disappointing you and other lecturers.

beloved said...

i wonder wat happen before intern n after intern.....

y they r so disappointed

something wrong?

(regret dint go c delta work coz dve presentation n exam)

Jijoe said...

Eh no la Si Ying :P not singling out anyone in particular... Just the overall impression was less than stellar. I actually quite enjoyed yours a bit. It creeped me out :P

Anyway, I'm really hoping all the best for you Gamma people. It's been fun, and I hope you guys really increase your chakra levels during the internship.

lawliet said...

Helo Si Ying.

I wonder did u uploaded ur clip to youtube or any other channel? I would love to have a look again...

Thanks

SEE-ing said...

aiks, sir, nola, i doesn't mean that. I know it is a general opinion. After the presentation I got feedbacks from few friends too. They also think that the quality of our batch drops. hahaha. Thanks that you like the clip. :P

hi, senior (lawliet), hurm... sorry I dunno your name. lolz. err... I haven upload my file to any site yet. I'll upload it later after exam. If you don't mind, can add me in y!m? harunosakura2001, i send you thru y!m ~ :P

SEE-ing said...

hi, i have uploaded my clip, here is the link :

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o4/harunosakura2006/?action=view¤t=final.flv

hope to get your detail comments soon~:-P